Foods to have if suffering from lung cancer
There is a lot of research available today on the types of food that should be eaten or avoided when one is diagnosed with any form of cancer, including lung cancer. Diet forms a major part of one’s life and some foods help in reducing the risk of diseases. If you eat the right kinds of food when suffering from a disease like lung cancer, it can help manage the condition. Of course, dietary changes are to be made in tandem with other medications, therapy, and lifestyle changes. Here is a list of foods that you need to add to your diet if diagnosed with lung cancer:
- Pears are known to have phloretin, which is effective in causing the death of cancer cells. Apple is one other fruit that contains this element.
- Green tea contains compounds such as epigallocatechin-3 gallate and theaflavin, which allow for the chemotherapy drugs to be better absorbed and are potent in curbing the damages caused by cancer cells.
- Salmon is one of the best sources of vitamin D, which is effective in inhibiting the growth of lung cancer cells.
- Ginger is a well-known root to help control any form of nausea including those induced by chemotherapy. It contains a compound known as 6-shogaol that curbs the development of cancer and lowers the risk of metastases.
- Capers contain the compound called quercetin which aids in inhibiting the enabling pathways of cancer and thereby curbs the cell growth.
- Turmeric is a well-known ingredient through the ages for its medicinal properties. This root contains the compound curcumin, which has the remarkable ability to curb the invasive ability of lung cancer cells. This is a spice that can be added to simple curries and used in various other forms.
- All forms of berries including blueberries, raspberries, cranberries, and blackberries contain the compound known as anthocyanidins. This is the compound that is used to make delphinidin, which has a significant impact on inhibiting the growth and development of lung cancer cells.
- Carrots are not just one of the best sources of nutrients, but also contain chlorogenic, which has the ability to invade and prevent the growth of lung cancer cells.
- Tomatoes contain a compound called lycopene that is potent in fighting against and reducing the risk of cancer.
- Watercress contains a compound known as isothiocyanate which prevents the division of lung cancer cells, as well as, curbs the growth rate of cancerous tumors.